Puerto Rico Governor Increases and Extends COVID-19 Restriction
By: Javier G. Vázquez-Segarra, Esq.
Angel Berberena, Esq.
December 4, 2020
Due to the increase in COVID-19 cases being reported, the Governor of Puerto Rico, Hon. Wanda Vázquez-Garced, issued Executive Order 2020-087 which expands current COVID restrictions. This Executive Order covers the period between December 7, 2020 and January 7, 2021, and increases or modifies current COVID related guidelines as follows:
- Mandatory curfew will be in effect between 9:00 PM and 5:00 AM.
- Businesses must close at 8:30 PM.
- Supermarkets, restaurants, and fast-food establishments may deliver food and/or groceries to customers until 11:00 PM.
- The sale and consumption of alcohol is completely prohibited from Saturday at 5:00 AM until Monday at 5:00 AM.
- Everyone must remain in lockdown on Sundays, except to visit pharmacies, supermarkets, fast-food establishments, gas stations, and hardware stores. Restaurants may operate by providing carry-out orders and delivering them to customers’ vehicles. No customers are permitted inside establishments.
- The occupancy allowed in shopping centers, retailers, and dealers remains at 30%.
- The use of face masks remains mandatory, as well as the observance of social distancing measures.
- Movie theaters, casinos, recreational areas (pools, parks), night clubs, bars, roadside establishments (“chinchorros”) and small coffee shops (“cafetines”) must remain closed.
- Marinas must remain closed and the use of boats is restricted.
- Visits to homes for the elderly and correctional facilities are prohibited.
- Employees who test positive to COVID may return to work once they comply with the quarantine period; a negative COVID test is not required for an employee to return to work.
The Executive Order is available in Spanish here
As with all previous executive orders and regulations, failure to comply with these measures will result in administrative fines for individuals and businesses.
Goldman Antonetti & Córdova, LLC stands ready to assist you and your business to adjust to Puerto Rico’s regulatory and legal changes. If you need further assistance in this area, please contact any of the following members of our Firm:
|Luis Ortiz Abreu||787.759.4110|
Disclaimer: Although the information included in this document may concern legal issues, it is not a legal opinion or professional advice and clients shall not use it as such. We assume no responsibility or liability of any kind for any information contained herein, and we expressly disclaim all liability for any claim for damages arising from the use, reference to, or reliance on, such information. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
Goldman Antonetti & Cordóva, LLC | 787-759-8000 | www.gaclaw.com