Puerto Rico COVID-19 Update Executive Order 2021-054 & Administrative Order 2021-508
By: Alicia Lamboy, Esq.
July 1, 2021
On July 1, 2021, the Governor of Puerto Rico, Hon. Pedro R. Pierluisi, issued Executive Order 2021-054 delegating on the Secretary of Health the power to create guides, protocols, and recommendations to address the COVID-19 emergency. It also maintains the state of emergency declared in Executive Order Number OE-2020-20 until the Secretary of Health determines that the pandemic is under control. This broad delegation of powers extends to matters related to the general public, employers, private and public entities. On July 1, 2021, the Secretary of Health issued Administrative Order 2021-508. As per both Orders, effective July 5, 2021:
- The capacity restrictions on commercial establishments are eliminated.
- The restrictions on hours of operations are eliminated.
- Non vaccinated persons are still required to quarantine if exposed to the virus.
- Infected persons are still required to isolate.
- Individual cautionary measures must still be observed. These include hand washing, social distancing, and compliance with CDC guidelines.
- Fully vaccinated persons are not required to use face masks.
- Persons not fully vaccinated or with compromising health conditions must continue to use face masks.
- Children between 2 and 11 years of age should use face masks because they do not have access to vaccinations.
- Face masks are required for anyone working or visiting healthcare facilities.
- Events hosting 500 or more persons must require evidence of vaccination or negative results of a COVID-19 antigen test taken 24 hours prior to the event.
- Travel restrictions/requirements remain in effect.
The Department of Health may, and will likely issue, additional guides, protocols and/or recommendations to address specific areas.
Goldman Antonetti & Córdova, LLC stands ready to assist you and your business to adjust to Puerto Rico’s regulatory and legal changes. If you need further assistance in this area, please contact any of the following members of our Firm:
Disclaimer: Although the information included in this document may concern legal issues, it is not a legal opinion or professional advice and clients shall not use it as such. We assume no responsibility or liability of any kind for any information contained herein, and we expressly disclaim all liability for any claim for damages arising from the use, reference to, or reliance on, such information. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.