New Executive Order Relaxing Several COVID-19 Restrictions
By: Alicia Lamboy, Esq.
January 6, 2021
On January 5, 2021, the Hon. Pedro R. Pierluisi, recently inaugurated as Governor of Puerto Rico, issued Executive Order 2021-010 (the “Order”), aimed at managing the COVID-19 pandemic. This Order modifies certain restrictions of prior Executive Order 2020-087, including those concerning the operation of commercial establishments. The most significant changes are:
- Reduces the curfew period to 11:00 pm to 5:00 am,from the current hours of 9:00 pm to 5:00 am.
- Extends hours during which certain exempt businesses are authorized to operate which may now remain open until 10:00 pm. Exempt businesses include restaurants, supermarkets, pharmacies, retail sales, shopping centers, casinos, drive-ins, gyms, film industry, movie theaters, among others.
- Eliminates the Sunday general lockdown. The same curfew restrictions will be in force seven days a week.
- Beaches and other aquatic recreational areas will reopen to the public. However, people who are not part of one same family nucleus must stay at least 10 feet away from others. Consumption of alcoholic beverages at these locations is not allowed.
- Requires that the Puerto Rico Treasury Department prepare and approve a plan to provide economic assistance to certain businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic to assist them to mitigate monetary losses. No specific details are provided in the Order.
Goldman Antonetti & Córdova, LLC stands ready to assist you and your business to adjust to Puerto Rico’s regulatory and legal changes. If you need further assistance in this area, please contact any of the following members of our Firm:
|Gretchen M. Méndez-Vilella||787.759.4207|
Disclaimer: Although the information included in this document may concern legal issues, it is not a legal opinion or professional advice and clients shall not use it as such. We assume no responsibility or liability of any kind for any information contained herein, and we expressly disclaim all liability for any claim for damages arising from the use, reference to, or reliance on, such information. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
Goldman Antonetti & Cordóva, LLC | 787-759-8000 | www.gaclaw.com