New Executive Order Relaxing Several COVID-19 Restrictions
By: Alicia Lamboy, Esq.
May 6, 2021
On May 6, 2021, the Hon. Pedro R. Pierluisi, Governor of Puerto Rico, issued Executive Order 2021-032 (the “Order”), aimed at easing COVID 19 restrictions established in Executive Order 2021-027. The most significant changes include:
- Reduces the curfew period from 12:00 am to 5:00 am. The current curfew period is from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am.
- Increases the business operation hours from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm. The current operational hours are from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm.
- Maintains the maximum occupancy capacity of private services and businesses that are not expressly prohibited to thirty percent (30%) if the establishment has a closed environment. If the business receives customers in its establishments, the storage area cannot be considered in the calculation of the maximum occupancy capacity.
- Maintains the authorization to operate theaters, amphitheaters, and activity centers at thirty percent (30%), but allows their operation from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Eliminates the requirement to obtain a waiver prior to events, such as, corporate activities, assemblies, and weddings, but the organizer must require every attendant a qualified negative COVID-19 (NAAT and antigen) test done within 72 hours prior to the event.
The new Order will be effective on May 10, 2021.
Goldman Antonetti & Córdova, LLC stands ready to assist you and your business to adjust to Puerto Rico’s regulatory and legal changes. If you need further assistance in this area, please contact any of the following members of our Firm:
Disclaimer: Although the information included in this document may concern legal issues, it is not a legal opinion or professional advice and clients shall not use it as such. We assume no responsibility or liability of any kind for any information contained herein, and we expressly disclaim all liability for any claim for damages arising from the use, reference to, or reliance on, such information. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.