What “New Executive Order Relaxing Several COVID-19 Restrictions
By: Alicia Lamboy, Esq.
March 12, 2021
On March 11, 2021, the Hon. Pedro R. Pierluisi, Governor of Puerto Rico, issued Executive Order 2021-019 (the “Order”), aimed at managing the COVID-19 pandemic. This Order modifies certain restrictions of prior Executive Order 2021-014, including those concerning the operation of commercial establishments. The most significant provisions include:
- Maintains the curfew period from 12:00 am to 5:00 am.
- Increases allowable occupancy of restaurants with closed environment to 50%.
- Allows operation of all services and businesses that are not expressly prohibited, with a maximum occupancy capacity of fifty percent (50%) if the establishment has a closed environment. This includes movie theaters.
- Theaters, amphitheaters, and activity centers may resume operations at thirty percent (30%) occupancy.
- Eliminates the requirement to obtain a waiver prior to events, such as, corporate activities, pageants, and fairs.
Other provisions of Executive Order 2021-014 will remain in effect. These include fines for individuals and businesses that fail to comply with current mandates on COVID-19 restrictions. The new Order will be effective on March 14, 2021.
Goldman Antonetti & Córdova, LLC stands ready to assist you and your business to adjust to Puerto Rico’s regulatory and legal changes. If you need further assistance in this area, please contact any of the following members of our Firm:
Disclaimer: Although the information included in this document may concern legal issues, it is not a legal opinion or professional advice and clients shall not use it as such. We assume no responsibility or liability of any kind for any information contained herein, and we expressly disclaim all liability for any claim for damages arising from the use, reference to, or reliance on, such information. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.