Executive Orders 2020-079 and 2020-080
By: Angel Berberena, Esq.
November 14, 2020
The Governor of Puerto Rico, Hon. Wanda Vázquez-Garced, issued Executive Order 2020-079 extending the current COVID restrictions, initially scheduled to expire on November 13, until November 15, 2020. A second executive order (EO 2020-080), yet to be released at time of this publication, was officially announced to cover the period between November 16, 2020 and December 11, 2020 and to establish or modify COVID related guidelines as follows:
- Mandatory curfew remains in effect between 10:00 PM and 5:00 AM.
- Reduced the occupancy percentage applicable to shopping centers, retailers, and dealers from 55% to 30%.
- Commercial establishments are now required to post in a visible place their maximum capacity of 30% and include a confidential telephone hotline to report violations. A template of the poster and required information will be available at www.fortaleza.pr.gov.
- Extends the mandatory use of face masks.
- Movie theaters, casinos, and gyms will remain at their current occupancy levels of 30%.
- Religious and funeral events are limited to a 30% occupancy.
- Recreational areas, bars, roadside establishments (“chinchorros”) and small coffee shops (“cafetines’) shall remain closed.
- The National Guard will provide support to local police in enforcing the Executive Order.
Once published, Executive Order 2020-080 will be available here.
As with all previous executive orders and regulations, failure to comply with these measures will result in administrative fines for individuals and businesses.
Goldman Antonetti & Cordóva, LLC stands ready to assist you and your business to adjust to Puerto Rico’s regulatory and legal changes. If you need further assistance in this area, please contact any of the following members of our Firm:
|Luis Ortiz Abreu|
Disclaimer : Although the information included in this document may concern legal issues, it is not a legal opinion or professional advice and clients shall not use it as such. We assume no responsibility or liability of any kind for any information contained herein, and we expressly disclaim all liability for any claim for damages arising from the use, reference to, or reliance on, such information. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.