- Capital Partner
Angel Berberena is a Capital Member of the Firm with over 20 years of experience as a practicing trial attorney in general, commercial and labor/employment litigation. Substantial experience in multimillion-dollar and complex litigation cases.
Focus on labor and employment includes all areas of labor/employment law and personnel practices including sexual harassment, discrimination (race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, and marriage), retaliation, privacy, protective orders, wrongful termination, wage and hour, leaves of absence, reductions in force, reorganizations and closings. Active litigation, arbitration and medication before local and federal administrative and judicial forums, including the Federal Court for the District of Puerto Rico, Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Puerto Rico Supreme Court, Puerto Rico Court of Appeals, Puerto Rico Court First Instance, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), United States Department of Labor (US-DOL), Puerto Rico Anti-discrimination Unit (PR-ADU), Puerto Rico Department of Labor (PR-DOL), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA and PR-OSHA), and other administrative agencies. Regular lecturer on legal and labor/employment topics, including compliance and training.Commercial experience includes real state litigation involving breach and interpretation of contracts; corporate and partnership disputes including valuation, stock and asset purchases, due diligence, dissolutions, violations to corporate or partnership agreements, and breach of fiduciary duty; insurance and financial claims including payment and collections; and appearance before courts and administrative agencies.
- Puerto Rico, 1999
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 2000
- Texas, 2019
- University of Puerto Rico Law School, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- J.D. - 1998
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
- B.S. - 1995
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Finance
- Labor & Employment Seminars and Presentations
- Corporate and Practical Training in Labor & Employment Issues
- Corporate Seminars and Presentations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Private Arbitrator and Mediator, 2007.
- Certified Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association, 2019.
- American Bar Association, 1999.
- Hispanic National Bar Association, 2011.
- Interamerican Bar Association, 2002-Present.
- Member and frequent speaker, Association of Labor Relations Practitioners, 1999.
- Member and Speaker, National Finance Industry Employment Law Committee (NFIELC) 2017.
- Writer/Contributor, ABA Labor and Employment Law Review, Intl. Labor & Employment Laws, National Business Institute.
Pro Bono Activities
- General Pro Bono Litigation